Thursday, January 8, 2015

2015 Brainstorm

Hi everyone! Happy Friday Eve! :)

I've read a number of blog posts about new year's resolutions, and many of them seem to flow along the same vein- "I don't want to make promises I'm not going to keep," and "I'm not going to set unrealistic expectations for myself this year." Many of the posts have taken a new, more uplifting spin on typical resolution making, which can feel daunting and, well, even a little self-shaming sometimes.

Last year I created a 2014 "brainstorm" - a list of things I hoped to learn and do. Looking back, it was a great list! And I was able to accomplish many things on it. But a few of the things on that list are things I am ALWAYS striving to do, such as love myself, eat more greens, and eat less cheese ;)

My 2014 brainstorm list included:
  • Learn how to use a slow cooker
  • Host one party a month (ambitious??)
  • Host a game night
  • Host a movie night
  • Try a DIY project
  • Go to Griffith to hike (did this Jan 4th!! It was beautiful!)
  • Bake
  • Write cards to friends (snail mail)
  • Learn karate and earn a belt (!!!)
  • Run a 5k
  • Love myself
  • Eat more greens
  • Eat less cheese/bread/chips and sub fruit/veggies/protein
  • Call more friends
  • Reach out more frequently (calls, emails, etc.)
  • Enjoy life
  • Seek out nature
  • Say a prayer
  • Take a dance class
  • Go for a run
  • Read more
  • Start an etsy shop
Making a list of new year's HOPES rather than hard and fast "resolutions" is what works for me. Some of these goals have changed, too. For example, in 2014 (and probably earlier, if I'm being honest with myself,) I discovered that I just don't really love running. Why try to turn myself into a runner when I don't even enjoy it? What I did learn in 2014 is that I really enjoy Krav Maga classes (and though I didn't learn Karate, I did earn my first belt in Krav Maga and it felt awesome!)

In short, I don't want to change my nature, I want to tap into things that I'm most naturally passionate about. With that in mind, here are some things that are on my 2015 Brainstorm list:

  • Bring lunch to work (saving money and being more frugal is high on my list of priorities this year!)
  • Take a break from pizza and sweets (pizza, popcorn and sweets are my three favorite foods. Safeguarding my health is important to me, so the frequency of my indulging in certain foods might need to shift as I age.) 
  • Continue to explore my creative side (sketching! Blogging! Crocheting!) 
  • Keep better track of what books I read and what movies I watch 
  • Maintain a good apartment cleaning schedule 
  • Continue to travel to new places as often as possible
  • Grow my blog readership 
  • Develop a good blogging routine  
  • Do something that scares me a little bit 
  • Continue to grow and maintain healthy, fulfilling relationships 
What do you think of my brainstorm? Are there any things in particular that you want to accomplish in 2015? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by kelly christine studio