Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Vintage Plaid Shirt






Shirt: Vintage | Jeans: Joe's | Belt: Forever 21 | Boots: Miz Mooz from Nordstrom | Coat: J. Crew (similar here) | Bag: Marc Jacobs from Marshalls

I've had this shirt since freshman year of college. It's one of my favorite finds from vintage/ thrift store shopping in Colorado Springs. When shopping for thrifted items, you want to make sure that you examine each article of clothing or accessory closely before purchasing. Does the item have any rips or stains? Is the lining coming undone anywhere? Does the garment have any icky odors or residue? Are there any signs of excessive wear? If "yes" to any of the above questions, ask yourself: am I okay with this? Will I still wear this item despite its imperfections? Are these issues I can get fixed (i.e. at the tailor or dry cleaners? Do I want to pay the money to have them repaired/cleaned?) Then ask the retailer if you can have a discount for these imperfections.

If "no" to any of these questions... ask yourself, is it a deal breaker? If it is, put it back on the rack.

Other things to consider: are all the buttons/sequins/beads in tact? If "no"- ask for a discount! It never hurts to ask, and if you don't ask you'll never know.

Also I always, always, ALWAYS either have my items dry cleaned after I buy them used, or I make sure to throw them in a hot wash. You never know where something has been. (Truly!)

As for styling this shirt, I have worn it on a number of occasions- to themed parties as a cowgirl with daisy dukes and western boots, tucked into a long black maxi skirt for a casual look, and with jeans for a more polished look, as you see here.  I initially put on my black Frye boots with this outfit but it looked a little too country. These Miz Mooz boots paired with this J. Crew jacket makes the look a little more prep, which was what I was going for. And I love the gold buttons on this jacket. Something about navy and gold makes me happy. The corduroy detail on the collar adds a unique and special touch to this coat.

What about you, do you like to go thrift store shopping? Do you have any tips for thrift/vintage store hunting and styling? Have a great day and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by kelly christine studio