Thursday, May 7, 2015

Thoughts on Being in Your Twenties

"How do you balance taking action with taking care of yourself?"

A poignant question posed by one of my oldest friends.

I've been having disrupted sleep for the past few days. I can't seem to balance working on my blog, hustling, networking, emailing, connecting, researching, with eating well, getting enough sleep, hydrating, exercising, maintaining a good relationship, maintaining good friendships, oh yeah and ummm WORKING full time, ya know, doing that thing I have called a job... etc.

How are we supposed to do this in our twenties, when many (most) of us have small apartments, smaller incomes, demands from our bosses, families, significant others, friends (and I say demand in a mostly loving term, not with the negative connotation it sometimes carries.) Sure, we aren't as busy as moms or... moms. (And dads.) But we're busy. We're learning. We're growing. We're trying.

How are we supposed to do it all?

I tried waking up at 6 am yesterday. I set my alarm for 6 am and then a second one for 6:05 am because I knew I wouldn't wake up from the first alarm and somehow I slept through both of them and fell back asleep until 7:30 am. (Yeesh.)

That left barely enough time to shower, get dressed, oh yeah and forget about me putting on makeup before leaving the house. I did this in my car, while sitting in traffic, (sorry mom.)

I can't be the only one who feels rushed, busy, and constantly behind. There's this feeling of being pulled in all different directions that I can't seem to shake. Feeling like I want to be creative, but I want to make money, and for some reason when you're first starting out, those two things tend to be mutually exclusive. I think quite a few of us share this feeling of wanting to change the world but feeling helpless because the electric bill and rent are barely getting paid (forget a cable bill, you got rid of cable a long time ago.)

This isn't a complaint about my life, but rather a shoutout to the people who share this sentiment that I think is all too common in our twenties... but sometimes people don't want to talk about it. I don't have all the answers (do I even have any yet? Yes- pack your lunch every day so you save money.) I'm just here to get the ball on honest conversation rolling.

Let's try to navigate our twenties gracefully sisters... we're in this one together.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by kelly christine studio