Wednesday, September 23, 2015

What to Read Wednesday

Hi folks! In the spirit of my quest to become a well-rounded and well-educated person, I'm starting a new series called "What to Read Wednesday." This may include links to news articles, videos, or books that I'm currently reading or have read and want to share with all of you. If you only stop by my blog for fashion, food, or travel, the topics I usually cover, you may want to skip over these pieces; however, I strongly encourage you to stop, take a moment, and choose one article you might normally avoid, and read it. Look it up on Twitter. Talk to your friends about it. Send it to people you know. Engage in the conversation.

1. I'm embarrassed for USC that this happened, but I am so proud of our student body president Rini Sampath for standing up for herself, and for other victims of racism, and bringing to not only to the USC administration, but to the world for a larger conversation. Check out the Washington Post article here. (Articles also on the LA Times, Daily Trojan, NBC LA and others.)

2. This is "old" news from September 16th but it's been staying with me --  the story of Ahmed and his clock. 

3. I just finished the book "Everything I Never Told You" by Celeste Ng. 
"Lydia is dead. But they don’t know this yet . . . 
So begins the story of this exquisite debut novel, about a Chinese American family living in 1970s small-town Ohio." quote from the author's websiteA thought-provoking read, this book will encourage you to look at your own identity, family relationships, pre-judgments (and misjudgments) you make about others, and race both in the 1970s and today. 
4. I'm now reading "The Wednesday Sisters" by Meg Waite Clatyon. "When five young mothers—Frankie, Linda, Kath, Ally, and Brett—first meet in a neighborhood park in the late 1960s, their conversations center on marriage, raising children, and a shared love of books." quote from the author's website. Stay tuned for more. 

5. Another old news article from June 9th but I can't let this one go -- the story of Albert Woodfox who was in solitary confinement for 43 years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by kelly christine studio