Thursday, March 2, 2017

This easy money saving strategy will change your life

Disclaimer: I am not a financial advisor by any means. Use this strategy at your own risk! 

Saving money can help alleviate financial stress, fund fun trips or activities, and make a person feel a sense of accomplishment. 

Today I'm sharing a ridiculously easy money saving strategy that I use. I like to call it, the "Transfer Strategy."

Here is the way the Transfer Strategy works:

You go to purchase something, whether it's a $2 cup of coffee or a $17 top, and instead of swiping your card and spending money on a purchase, you transfer the exact amount of money you are saving by not making the purchase, from your checking account into your savings account.

If your checking account is too low to make the transfer, then you probably shouldn't be making the purchase anyway because you would have had to use your credit card, right? If your checking account isn't too low to make the purchase, then you've given in to your impulse to allow money to exchange hands, but instead of letting it exchange from your bank account into a business', you've allowed it to exchange from your checking account to your savings account. 

The Transfer Strategy encourages you to be more resourceful. Yes, I would love to have a decaf Americano twice a day, 5 days a week. But this would end up costing me about $24 a week (at $2.39/ drink.) At $24 a week, I would be spending $1,248 per year on coffee alone (and that doesn't include any coffee beverages purchased on weekends!) I could just as easily purchase an 80 count of instant coffee packets for $14.16 and my yearly cost of coffee goes from $1,248 to $92. (I figure if I have 80 instant coffee packets, and use 2 per day, 5 days a week, I'll need 6.5 boxes to fund my coffee habit.)

I want to buy a $2.39 cup of coffee? Instead, I'm going to transfer $2.39 into my savings account (or maybe $3 just to make it nice and even.) You will be blown away by how much money you can save in a short amount of time with the Transfer Strategy. What I like about it is that it becomes a fun game. How much money can I add to my savings account today? This week?

What do you think about the Transfer Strategy? Is this something you would like to try? Comment below!



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by kelly christine studio